Tuesday, January 16, 2007

New Year...New Stuff?

Happy New Year! So what if it has been nearly 10 months since my last entry...I never claimed to be a legit blogger. Due to the hounding I have received from my good friend, Jase, I am making a new year entry to give an update on things.

1. Poker!! Live game is still lacking. Been to Choctaw a couple times and have left broke or nearly broke. I usually play 4-5 hours before this happens so maybe if I left earlier I would be ahead. Online game has improved. Put $30 on Bodog back in Late July. My bankroll there has jumped to $1k! Mainly playing low limit PL games. I did place 5th in a $30+3 tournament back in Sept and that jumped the bankroll up another $300. From there it was just a grind by playing ring games when I got the chance.

As of Oct when this great government of ours passed the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) and the popular donkey sites closed their doors to U.S. players things have changed at bodog. No longer did my chart move up at a steady pace. It began to see the variance that one would expect to see with PartyPoker refugees showing up in droves. It went from a steady climb to a crazy rollercoaster ride. Up $30 one session...down $60 the next...up $80 the next...down $10-20 the next few then back up again. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

My game has changed a bit as of the new year though and I am trying to change up how I play so the variance does not swing both ways so much. It has been working I guess as the climb has started again. One of the goals I made for this year is to play in more tournaments and try to enter in a few bigger ones with a hefty payout. Once I make a couple million so I can pay off nasty CC bills I can get on High Stakes Poker season 4 or 5. We shall see....we shall see.

2. World of Warcraft! Still playing it as much as I can with the wifey. We picked up the expansion (Burning Crusade) today so I am sure there will be lots of playing in the near future to level new toons and try new stuff with our old ones. I have played too much in the last year I think. 2 level 60s and another that hit 50...plus few I have that don't get played as often. Oh well...it is a cheap form of entertainment and less stressful than poker. :)

3. Uhhh...I guess that is it. Work is work...nothing exciting to talk about.

Until another 10 months...have a good one!

Ed

2 Comments:

Blogger Jase said...

I have to say I'm impressed with your progress on bodog. I think it was I who introduced the cynical you to poker those couple of years ago (correct me if I'm wrong), but in that time your play has matured exponentially and you've gone from a complete newbie to a formidable opponent. If it WAS indeed me that introduced you to the came and/or twisted your arm to come play free poker on UB all that time ago, just be sure to remember me when you're getting invited to Annie Duke's house for a quick $100 Sit-n-Blow.

I think I've decided over the course of the past 6 months that, although I am capable of making a profit online (I track my profits and losses like you do), I just don't think I have the patience to do so on a regular basis. Right before the PartyPoker invasion I was regularly buying in for $50 or so, and was consistently able to withdraw double or triple that before finally going broke (when I'd withdraw I'd keep the initial buy-in in the account - you know this already) AFTER the PartyPoker (et al) invasion, the much deeper, much more frequent downward swings (usually caused by a string of steam-inducing suckouts by aforementioned refugees) have prevented me from surviving with only $50 in my account, so I think the past 3 or so times I've deposited it just gets pissed away in 3-4 ricockulous suckout's time.

If I want to make money online again I have to 1) discover a new way to get money to the cardrooms now Neteller has taketh away, 2) buy in for more and 3) not take money out so frequently, to support the downward swings.

My desire/motivation to do any one of those 3 (let alone ALL of them together) isn't great, so for now I'm sticking to free play for fun (which, now, isn't too terribly different a play style from playing against the parypoker folks for money)

Honestly though the fun of online poker play (for money) has really been sucked dry by the kind of play I find myself up against of late. (the party poker exodus may well have marked the end of the online poker world for me)

PS - Loan me $300 you rich bastard! I want a Nintendo Wii!

1/18/2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Well as I have always told you in the past...you need to stop taking so much out until you build the bankroll. Now if I take a $100-200 hit because of tilt/suckouts/other it does not hurt...as much. :)

Oh and it was not just you that got me on UB. Remember we were all just getting started with the poker craze back then and a few of us showed up there. It did take me nearly a year (April 2005?) before I started playing for money though.

Oh and I can't give you any money until I figure out how I can take some of it out. :)

Ed

1/18/2007 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home